Coronavirus Death in India: 76-Year-Old Karnataka Man First to Die of the virus in India

Coronavirus Death in India: 76-Year-Old Karnataka Man First to Die of the virus in India :- According to the Health Minister B Sriramulu confirmation on late Thursday night, Karnataka man who died on Tuesday in Kalaburagi district has tested positive for novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 and with his death, the 76-year-old man has become the first casualty in India due to Coronavirus.

76-Year-Old Karnataka Man First to Die of the virus in India

The deceased had come back from Saudi Arabia on February 29 after staying there for a month and had been screened on arrival at Hyderabad airport, where he had displayed no symptoms of the virus at that time.

Later, he showed flu-like symptoms and was admitted to a private hospital on March 5. He reportedly had other health issues as well, including asthma and hypertension. Three days later he was shifted to another hospital in Hyderabad, where his samples were sent for testing. However, his family discharged him from the hospital, before the test results, and against medical advice.

According to the instructions of Kalaburagi Deputy Commissioner, the health officers tried to convince them to admit the patient to an isolation ward at the Gulbarga Institute of Medical Sciences. However, the family refused and transferred him to another hospital, from where he was treated and discharged. He died while being brought back to the hospital in Kalaburagi.

Mr. Sriramulu tweeted, “The 76-year-old man from Kalaburagi who passed away and was a suspected COVID-19 patient has been confirmed for COVID-19. Contact tracing (of family members and others he came in contact with), isolation and other measures, as per protocol, are being carried out.”

Karnataka Health Department’s joint director for Communicable Diseases Prakash Kumar said that all the protocols are being followed with regard to the safe disposal of the man’s body. He said, “The body is disinfected completely and disposed of as per the Government of India guidelines.”

He further added the Telangana government has also been informed as the man had gone to a private hospital in Hyderabad earlier.

Additionally, a fifth confirmed case was reported from the state on Thursday. According to Karnataka Health Minister B Sriramulu, the newest patient – a 26-year-old man who had returned from Greece – has been placed in isolation at a Bengaluru hospital.

He further added, “Primary contacts (of the 26-year old man) have been traced and are asymptomatic. Home quarantine has been advised and follow-up is being done.”

Meanwhile, more than 70 confirmed cases of COVID-19 infection have been confirmed by the Union Health Ministry so far, including 17 foreigners in isolation in Haryana, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh. More than 11 lakh people have been screened at airports across the country.

As part of its response, the government has shut borders to existing visas – except diplomatic, official, UN/international organisations, employment and project – till April 15. Apart from this many states have closed their schools and colleges except examinations and cinema halls as a precautionary measure.

Speak Your Mind

*